Monday, October 27, 2008

book review... or not



I finished reading Capote in Kansas: A Ghost Story by Kim Powers. I am giving it a 3 out of 5 stars. In a nutshell, it is about the life of Truman Capote and his childhood friend Harper Lee-- remember her? Yes, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird Powers admits to some of the facts in his book being of a fictional state. As you know, I dislike writing book reviews, unlike Alexys who enjoys writing them! All I can tell you is that if you have nothing to read, then check this book out of the library--

Edited to add: Okay, I will expand a little about why I didn't LOVE this book and give it 5 stars! First let me start off by stating that by nature I am hard to please. So please don't expect many 5 stars coming from this blog! :)

People that have read this give it mix reviews. I think that the intertwining of true facts with nonfiction is a sticky situation for a writer; not easily done. Powers takes the liberty to expand on some facts by offering his own interpretation, it all falls together and makes sense, yet some readers are left with an uneasiness about it. The consensus amongst some people is that if other books about Lee and Capote are read beforehand, Capote in Kansas..." will be more enjoyable. I will have to report back on this matter for I will be reading some other books in the next few months about these authors.

Sorry about this horrible attempt at a speedy review-- I really do detest writing about how a book makes me feel and what I think about it! It may be contributed by school book reports from the past! So please bear with me!

0 comments: